What if not having feminine hygiene supplies meant DAYS without school, DAYS without income, DAYS without leaving the house? Women and girls use leaves, mattress stuffing, newspaper, corn husks, anything they can find... but still miss up to 2 months of school every year. Addressing this issue is a surprising but instrumental key to social change for women all over the world. The poverty cycle can be broken when girls stay in school.
What is Days for Girls?
Days for Girls empowers Days of education. Days of health. Days of safety. Days of dignity. Days for Girls, International, is a grassroots, nonprofit organization creating a more dignified, humane and sustainable world for girls through advocacy, reproductive health awareness, education and sustainable feminine hygiene. They do this by direct distribution of feminine hygiene kits, by partnering with nonprofit groups and organizations, by raising awareness and, more importantly, by helping impoverished communities start their own programs to supply kits and training. Together with our network of thousands of exceptional volunteers and partners, we have reached over ONE MILLION girls and women in over 120 nations on 6 continents.
A Days for Girls kit is a fully washable and reusable solution for feminine hygiene protection. The kits are carefully sewn with high quality materials and are given out with the expectation that they will last about 3 years. There are eleven separately sewn articles included in each Days for Girls kit:
● 2 leak-proof “shields” that protect their clothing,
● 8 absorbent “liners” that, when combined with a shield, function as what we call a pad,
● A pretty drawstring bag to contain their kit and help preserve their dignity.
There are many needs in this world. For many women and girls, it is a need for health, safety, and dignity. For us, whose basic necessities are already met, the need may be to strengthen bonds of friendship, to feel useful, to be creative, or to give back and help others. Days for Girls is a great way to satisfy some of these needs. We are helping women in a most personal way.
What do we need?
Donate any of the following items at the District Conference:
● Colorful feminine fabrics (flannel/quilters cotton).
● Thread (polyester, use bright colors).
● 5/8” and 3/4” grosgrain ribbon.
● Pairs of new underwear (girl’s size 10/12/14).
● Washcloths - store-bought, 100% cotton.
● Gallon-size Ziploc Brand Freezer Grade Bags.
● Individually wrapped tampons and pads
● Money to purchase the above items and the special waterproof fabric (PUL) that makes the system work.
● Your valuable time to sew the items needed for feminine hygiene kits or to do one of numerous steps to assemble kits.
●You can make cash donations here.